Sunday, December 12, 2010

Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton Review







Published: November 15th 2010 by Clarion Books
Hardcover, 322 pages
Book Series: Goblin Wars, Book 1

Book Description:
Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.

Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming.


Favor Quote...

"...Did God create them evil?"

"Of course not." Mamieo stopped to pick up a piece of blue bleach glass. "Why would the Almighty do such a wicked thing? All creatures," she said when they walked on, "from the moment they exist, set about becoming through their own free will. Some are becoming more of what they were meant to be, and some becoming less..."

Review:

When I picked up this book...actually when I first saw the cover of Tyger Tyger I had hoped to be engaged into a vivid world filled with mythical creatures, adventurous characters and imaginative settings. Kersten Hamilton has done just that.

The beginning of the story starts with Teagan and her love for animals. Even thou the book wasn't love at first read, I had a lot of respect for the author's writing which made made it hard for me to keep my eyes off the pages. Come to think of it, the characters are what blew my mind away first. For a story dealing with goblins and Irish Mythology, Teagan and the others seemed so real. Abby, Teagan's friend, was so likable and hilarious...a true friend.
Irish Traveler Finn Mac Cumhaill is one I couldn't get enough of either, he was smart, charming and the farthest thing from a cliche. I loved his accent, I even tried my best to portray the way he'd talk.

Basically it's a war against the Goblins and disgusting as they are, I couldn't help but love the ugly bad guys. Tyger Tyger only got more fascinating as I read but that actually became a small problem for me...


By the middle-end of the book I started to become more demanding but knew I'd have to wait for the sequels. The story had a few drags here and there but it was too good to consider it a bore. In all, kersten Hamilton has created a fun-enchanting read. I can't wait for more Finn, Teagan, and Abby...even the Goblins.


4/5




1 comment: