Friday, December 3, 2010

Masks by Patricia Caviglia Review


Published: July 8th 2010 by iUniverse
Paperback, 128 pages

Masks tells the story of two teenagers struggling to be normal together, despite their dysfunctional families.

Rebecca Jacobs is an unremarkable teenage girl-at least, that is what she wants the world to believe. But her private life is made public when her verbally abusive father embarrasses her at a school dance, and soon gossip and whispers buzz throughout the school.

One of the witnesses to Rebecca's public humiliation is David Miller, the high school bad boy. Unsure about how to help her, he settles for becoming her friend. Rebecca and David grow closer with each passing day, eventually falling in love.

Rebecca's main priority is keeping her relationship with David a secret from her overprotective parents, but there are other problems she must also confront. First, Rebecca's best friend tries to steal David away. Then, Rebecca is forced to face David's violent behavior, which closely resembles her father's temper. Rebecca's worst enemy, though, is herself. In her desperate need to keep her home life separate from her love life, she lies to her parents and to David. When the truth is exposed, she must confront reality-alone. She quickly learns that sometimes secrets are harder to live with than the truth.

This reminded me so much of Junior High, but I have to admit, David is a better memory than I ever had with any of the boys in my tween years...he sweet, determined and sexy. At first I thought he was a walking cliche, I mean the girls claimed he was "so romantic"...I didn't see it that way but as read on I learned his side in the story and grown to really like him. Rebecca, whom David soon falls in love with, is not too aware of the cruel world of JHS. As she begins to realize and have a new take on her surroundings, David supports her with as much control as he can steady.

The book was a breath of fresh air but a few things I disliked about the story was the constant cigarette smoking, ranting teens, and their lives in general that seemed pointless.

But hey, I'm a teen myself and I know that's how we get sometimes at are early teen years. (Excluding the cigarettes...never smoked a day in my life)

Having said that, I wish the vocabulary was more colorful. I still have hope for Patricia Caviglia because I've seen the brilliance in her work...parts of Masks had my eyes glued to the page...

In all, it was okay...I'm curious to see what she comes up with next.

2.5/5






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, I haven't heard of this boom before! I'm going to add this to my wishlist. ^^

    ReplyDelete