Sunday, December 12, 2010

Seek Out Sunday (2)





This feature is for fun. Every Sunday, I'll be posting about books that I've searched with recent hype. The purpose? To share our opinions and maybe help each other out, well, me in this case...just wondering if these books are worth it :/
I think too much!

Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Book Series: Matched, Book 1
Genre/keywords: Young Adult, Romance, Dystopia, Science Fiction, Adventure

Hover mouse here for Book Description

What I've heard...

Pros: For the most part I hear this is a great dystopian novel. A friend of mine said he loves the challenge it takes to read this because a reader immediately becomes captivated by the story line therefore unable to keep their eyes off the pages. Sounds good to me but...

Cons: I also found a lot of people saying that it's similar to this and that. Stories like The Hunger Games, The Giver, Uglies...classics and respected books are risky to compare with and so I'm afraid I wont accept Matched for that very reason.


~*~

Title: The Freak Observer
Author:
Blythe Woolston
Genre/keywords : grief, young adult, dysfunctional family

Hover mouse here for Book Description

What I've Heard...

Pros: A friend of mine who loved it said it's clever and captures the reader from the start. When I asked her about the flow of the book, she said it was best in the beginning and middle. Out of fear, I didn't want to ask about the ending. But as for the clever writing and potential of holding the readers attention...let's just say I eat the stuff up.

Cons: After reading some upsetting reviews, a few have mentioned the characters in the story coming off as weak and unlikable. When there's no character to root for, what else is there to care for? Others have said it was unrealistic too.








2 comments:

  1. matched is so popular!! Give it a try, it sounds really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and judge a book by it's hype? okay, you got me, I'll probably be reading it.

    ReplyDelete