Thursday, October 6, 2011

Review: What Can't Wait by Ashley Hope Perez







Hardcover
, 240 pages
Published March 28th 2011 by Carolrhoda Books

Book Description:

Another day finished, gracias a Dios." Seventeen-year-old Marisa's mother has been saying this for as long as Marisa can remember. Her parents came to Houston from Mexico. They work hard, and they expect Marisa to help her familia. An ordinary life--marrying a neighborhood guy, working, having babies--ought to be good enough for her. Marisa hears something else from her calc teacher. She should study harder, ace the AP test, and get into engineering school in Austin. Some days, it all seems possible.

On others, she's not even sure what she wants. When her life at home becomes unbearable, Marisa seeks comfort elsewhere--and suddenly neither her best friend nor boyfriend can get through to her. Caught between the expectations of two different worlds, Marisa isn't sure what she wants--other than a life where she doesn't end each day thanking God it's over. But some things just can't wait...


My quick Review:

What Can't Wait was great realistic fiction story. With Marisa's parents wanting one thing and her heart wanting something entirely different, it's tough to keep everyone happy, for both yourself and your loved ones. Perez wrote about the love, hate, confusion and hope in Maris'a life...all of which I was able to keep up with and relate to by some degree.


The Characters were basic but they fit the story well enough to do the book justice. From her sister, Cecilia, to her best friend, Brenda...everyone had a part to make this book full of life.

As for the writing and dialogue...I think Perez did a very good job keeping the reader interested. There were times where I felt the book was lacking but I've been very picky these days so I wont say that anything was a ruin. In all, many of the events and situations that happened in What Can't Wait made it worth reading. I recommend this if you're in the mood.

4/5


3 comments:

  1. This sounds cool I've never heard of it before. It sounds light but interesting. I'll go take a look on GR =)


    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on B&N the other day and I feel better that I bought it. No lie hah! I wasn't so sure but now I think I just might love it or at least like it. Great review Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review, Meghan! And, Mindy, I'm curious where your B&N is. It's always cool to know who's selling my book!

    Watch for my next novel, The Knife and the Butterfly. It's out in February. The cover was just revealed... www.ashleyperez.com/blog

    ReplyDelete