Thursday, October 27, 2011

Review: The Visions of Ransom Lake by Marcia Lynn McClure







Paperback
, 296 pages
Published July 28th 2002 by Distractions Incorporated

Book Description:

Youthful beauty, naïve innocence, a romantic imagination thirsting for adventure-an apt description of Vaden Valmont, who would soon find the adventure and mystery she had always longed to experience-in the form of a man.

A somber recluse, Ransom Lake descended from his solitary concealment in the mountains, wholly disinterested in people and their trivial affairs. And somehow, young Vaden managed to be ever in his way-either by accident or because of her own unique ability to stumble into a quandary.

Yet the enigmatic Ransom Lake would involuntarily become Vaden's unwitting tutor. Through him, she would experience joy and passion the like even Vaden had never imagined. Yes, Vaden Valmont stepped innocently, yet irrevocably, into love with the secretive, seemingly callous man-Ransom Lake.

But there were other life's lessons Ransom Lake would inadvertently convey to her as well. The darker side of life-despair, guilt, heartache. Would Ransom Lake be the means of Vaden's dreams come true? Or the cause of her complete desolation?

My Review:

It all started with a blogger; I first heard about author Marcia Lynn McClure from Kathy from I am a reader not a writer Blog and I feel lucky because Marcia is a writer of admiration. I can already sense her books will be my "home away from home" kind of reads...what a pleasure it will be.

Visions of Ransom Lake wasn't as good as I had hoped but it did rob me of my sleep for a few nights because I even read a couple of pages over and over again because of how beautifully written some parts of the story were. The setting is a world I could never experience in real life but it doesn't matter because I had the craziest illusion I was one of the characters! Vonnie.

Vonnies' sister Vaden has a very fun personality and the more Ransom Lake ran into her, the more their love grew. Vonnie is the more "pretty", quiet one but what I mean by feeling as if I was Vonnie, I meant only her quiet ways. As much as she was quiet, I felt she was a dark horse just waiting to be loved. Don't we all sometimes. But this was Vaden's(her sisters') story and I adored it...

for the most part.

I couldn't get enough of the story, the characters and everything in between but the second half of the story felt wrong. I can't explain much on a count spoilers but man did I enjoy most of this. Really great read that first half was.

If you're looking for a clean, yet passionate romance...Visions of Ransom Lake is the book I recommend.

4/5





1 comment:

  1. Sounds nice Meghan, thanks for the great review. I'm actually in the mood for a different kind of romance.

    ReplyDelete