Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens Review





Paperback, 243 pages
Published April 29th 2011 by Grove Creek Publishing

Book Description:

Ashlyn: A lonely society princess living in New York City.

Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard.

Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector.

Daddy thought I’d be safe. He thought I’d never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever.

Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin.

Daddy was wrong.

Review:

Yeah, lots of daddy's in the book description...nearly gave me a headache. Me no likey. Plus there was the factor in which I hadn't enjoyed other books(Heavenly and Nailed) by this author so, hm....what's a girl who loves books to do eh?

READ of course, and read I did.

This book surprised me like a slice of carrot cake in the morning, waiting to be eaten. Yes I love carrot cake. Okay back to the review...I really couldn't get enough of this book, in my opinion the description and cover of Overprotected is misleading and doesn't do the book justice...

The writing was simple, perfect...had a great flow. The Characters were what every reader approves; real and entertaining. Basically the father, Charles, is very protective of his daughter, Ashlyn. Colin, whom Ashlyn knows from childhood, has been recruited as her bodyguard. As dull and predictable as that sounds, the book is something to appreciate. The story was, at most times, serious that revealed struggles in the family and how others dealt with them. In this case, Ashlyn used the piano that which she played through deep emotions. The dialogue was realistic compared to other reads where I shake my head saying "that's now how people talk but okaay". Gosh! In a million years I would think I'd get into this book based on the cover and all. Seriously don't judge a book on it's cover or book description...or previous works from the same author.

Now for the con, or the suspense which was really killing me. Some parts of the story weren't a good enough distraction to give this five stars

BUT

even thou there were some moments where I nearly tried to shake the ending out of the book, it's worth to give a try.


4/5






1 comment:

  1. Great to hear that you enjoyed this book! I'm halfway through it, and it's so far so good! Check out my latest review: The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel by Maureen Lindley

    ReplyDelete